Round-up: Mayoral Candidate Forum on the Future of Food in NYC
Missed the Mayoral Candidate Forum on the Future of Food in NYC?
On July 17th, FSNYC and eleven of the city's other leading food systems and anti-hunger organizations co-hosted the Mayoral Candidate Forum on the Future of Food in NYC.
What a turnout! The Mayoral Forum attracted over 750 attendees, including representation from 12 co-host organizations and 76 partner organizations and groups. Over 1,300 viewers watched the event via livestream. And, the forums hastage, #NYCFoodForum, trended nationally on Twitter during the event! Catch-up below to find out what the candidates had to say...
- Watch the archived video
- Download the Co-Hosts' final press release
- Download the official forum notes
- Download the list of moderator-asked questions
- Notable quotes:
"Its hard to imagine (the forum before) the last election or the one before that. It's the growth of a movement that can attract the attention of politicians." Michael Pollan, The Wall Street Journal
"It surely marks the first time that...candidates have had to grapple publicly with food issues...(making) it clear that they had thought about these questions...The take home...New York City's food movement is strong enough to make ...candidates sit up, listen, and take food issues seriously." Marion Nestle, Food Politics
- NYCFoodForum in the press:
- Brownstein, Nicole. “Pizza, Pastrami, and School Lunches: NYC’s Mayoral Candidates Talk Food Policy.” Policymic. July 18, 2013.
- Douglas, Leah. “NYC Mayoral Candidates Talk Food Stamps, School Lunches, and More at Food Policy Forum.” Serious Eats. July 22, 2013.
- Gross, Courtney. “Mayoral Candidates Talk City Food Subjects in Forum.” NY1. July 17, 2013.
- Heritage Radio Network. “HRN Prime – Episode 17 – NYC Mayoral Candidate Food Forum Recap.” July 18, 2013.
- Kamin, Sari. “The NYC Mayoral Candidate Food Forum: Big Ideas or Real Policy Change?” Huffington Post. July 26, 2013.
- Kaufmann, Greg. “This Week in Poverty: Food Policy, EITC Expansion and Financial Security for All.” The Nation.com Blog. July 26, 2013.
- Katz, Celeste. “Anthony Weiner: Health Insurance Goes a Longer Way Toward Wellness than Sugary Soda Ban.” Daily News. July 17, 2013.
- Nestle, Marion. “The Mayors’ Forum: History in the Making.” Food Politics. July 18, 2013.
- Nestle, Marion. “Some reflections on the mayor’s food forum: San Francisco Chronicle column.” Food Politics. August 4, 2013.
- Shallwani, Pervaiz. “Food for Thought at Food-Policy Forum.” The Wall Street Journal. July 17, 2013.