Support Local Food Businesses Affected by Hurricane Sandy!
Food Systems Network NYC is promoting ways that the general public can support local food businesses as they recovers from the Hurricane Sandy. The good news is that there are lots of ways to lend your support!
Purchase a gift certificate from or dine at an affected restaurant
- Below, FSNYC is beginning to pull together a list of affected food businesses and how you can support them. Rather than curate this list ourselves, we are inviting any local food business affected by the storm to provide us with their information. Many businesses are still focused on immediate disaster recovery and, as such, this is a working list.
- #dineoutNYC is promoting a speedy recovery for the restaurant industry by encouraging people to dine out in New York City. Among other things, they are promoting an #EatDowntown campaign and an #EatDownTipUp effort. Check their website often for new posts.
- Slow Food NYC has built an impressive network of food service establishments, with their Snail of Approval program, and farmers, with their Producer Matrix program. Many of these establishments and farmers have experienced heavy damages from Hurricane Sandy. Eat at a Snail of Approval awardee near you to support their recovery!
Eat Out, Give Back
- #dineoutNYC is curating a list of where to find restaurants with special events that benefit Sandy relief efforts.
Volunteer or Donate
- See FSNYC’s list of post-Hurricane Sandy food-related volunteer and donation opportunities
Support These Businesses! Food Retail & Restaurants Affected by Sandy
Are you a small food business (restaurant or retailer) that has been affected by Hurricane Sandy? Help us help you! If you'd like to encourage the public to purchase gift certificates, make reservations, or take any other action to support your business, let us know. Email firstname.lastname@example.org the name of your business, a contact phone number and email address, and information on how people can support you (1-2 sentences and/or a link to your website) and we’ll add you to the list below.
Family Recipe – Lower East Side, NYC
Special offer until 11/11!
-Brick chicken 1/2 price
-daddy's fried chciken 1/2 price
Come to eat!! That's the best support!
Gift certificates available from $25. Call 212-529-3133
The Green Table - Chelsea, NYC
Please come eat/drink with us at The Green Table!
Jimmy's No. 43 – East Village, NYC
Jimmy's No. 43 has been a long-time friend and supporter of Food Systems Network NYC and other like-minded good food organizations. Last year, Jimmy's raised thousands of dollars for relief when Hurricane Irene came through and hurt local farmers. Now, Jimmy's, located in the East Village, needs help getting power restored to their restaurant and bar. Help them out by buying a gift certificate to the restaurant or ticket to one (or more) of their amazing fall events. Jimmy is committed to making these events happen. They're down, but not out! To purchase a gift certificate and see a list of available ticketed events, visit the Jimmy's No. 43 website.
Marina Berger - personal chef, NYC
I'm a personal chef who lost income during the hurricane (my clients and I were all in power outage zones). I'm available to cook for holiday parties (sit down, buffet, cocktail hours, etc) through the fall and winter. Getting a few events over the next month or so would be very helpful in recovering losses. My contact info is: Marina Berger, Personal Chef Marina@marinacooks.com www.marinacooks.com 917.656.3225
New Amsterdam Market
Lower Manhattan was hit hard by Monday's storm and the Seaport community was devastated.
We were overwhelmed by the outpouring of support at our November 4 volunteer day, held in lieu of the market. Nearly 250 New Yorkers came offered their services, with many more inquiring if they could help. We thank everyone for assisting our neighborhood's small businesses in this first step towards their recovery.
Now, please attend the Second Annual PECK SLIP PICKLE FESTIVAL this Sunday, November 11 : A fundraiser for NYC residents & small businesses affected by the storm.
Northern Spy Food Co.
Northern Spy is a small neighborhood restaurant in the East Village focused on locally-sourced and seasonally-oriented food. We appreciate everyone's support in getting back on our feet after the hurricane. To purchase gift certificates, check out our menus, and make dinner reservations, please visit our website at www.northernspyfoodco.com. Thanks and we hope to see you here soon.